DescriptionFilter

JD-115-WSpring 2017
This course has prerequisite of Lawyering Skills I and II, Contracts I and II, Torts, Property, Criminal Law, Civil Procedure I, and Constitutional Law I.  This course will explore the law's reaction to new and unprecedented developments in medical and biological science, both in terms of how the law seeks to regulate medical practices and also how the "new biology" requires rethinking and development of legal principles. Topics may include such issues as genetic engineering, definitions of death, euthanasia, abortion, medical experimentation and allocation of scarce medical resources, etc.  This course has been approved to be taught either in a live classroom setting or an online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-214-WSpring 2017
This course has a prerequisites of Lawyering  Skills I and II, Contract I and II, Criminal Law,Civil Pro. I and Con. Law I,Property and Torts.      This seminar provides an overview of Internet law.  Students consider such issues as the nature of online services, governance and business structures in the borderless electronic environment of Cyberspace.  Subjects will vary as the field develops, but will include such areas as tort liability, freedom of expression, crime and security, privacy, intellectual property rights and protection, regulation, jurisdiction, and standards of ethics and propriety.    This is a paper course.  This course has been approved to be taught either in a live classroom setting or an online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-243-WSpring 2017
This course is offered every fall and spring semester.  This course has prerequisite of Lawyering Skills I and II, Contracts I and II, Torts, Property, Criminal Law, Civil Procedure I, and Constitutional Law I.  This course introduces the basic residential real estate transaction including the relationship of brokers to seller and to buyer, broker listing agreement, the real estate sales contract, typical real estate financing devices, land surveys, marketable title, title insurance, the Recording acts, implied warranties in residential sales, seller disclosure requirements, and ethical responsibilities of the attorney in representing the various parties to the transaction.  This course has been approved to be taught either in a live classroom setting or an online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-605-WSpring 2017
An in-depth study of the legal and business issues involved in the leasing, ownership and management of various types of commercial real estate properties. Particular emphasis will be placed upon negotiation and drafting of commercial lease. Skills exercises in negotiations, drafting and review of documents reflect the transactional perspective of the course.  This course has been approved to be taught either in a live classroom setting or an online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-178-WSpring 2017
This course has prerequisites of Lawyering Skill I and II, Contract I and II, Criminal Law, Civil Pro.I, and Con. Law I, Property and Torts.   The Internet has had a profound impact on the recognition and protection of intellectual property rights in a digital environment. This course is designed to explore the unique interplay between intellectual property rights and the Internet and other digitized formats, in both the United States and internationally. Among the issues to be explored are the impact of digitization on copyright ownership and use, database protection, cybersquatting and other domain registration and use issues, framing, cyberpiracy, Internet business patents, cyber-enforcement, and international regulation of intellectual property rights on the Internet.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-607-WSpring 2017
This course covers the various financing devices used today to acquire, construct and permanently finance commercial real estate.  Students will examine the instruments used to document various kinds of commercial real estate loan transactions, as well as consider the rights, remedies and duties imposed upon the parties and the problems and claims that arise when a loan goes into default.  This class will also consider workouts, modifications and forbearance agreements, as well as enforcement strategies and priority issues under the Bankruptcy Code and Article 9 of the UCC.  This course has been approved to be taught either in a live classroom setting or an online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-144-WSpring 2017
This course has prerequisites of Lawyering  Skill I and II, Contract I and II, Criminal Law, Civil Pro.I, and Con. Law I, Property and Torts.  This course will explore how businesses pay compensation to individuals in exchange for services, especially in relation to the following legal issues: (1) how the federal Internal Revenue Code affects the taxation of that compensation to both the individuals and to the business; (2) how publicly traded companies must disclose compensation packages (especially to executives) to their shareholders; (3) how businesses must comply with minimum wage and other labor laws; and (4) how businesses can be liable for discriminatory compensation policies and actions. In addition, as the market for independent legal counsel to compensation committees has exploded in the past few years, we will explore the best legal practices for sound corporate governance resulting from the Sarbanes Oxley Act of 2002. No prior knowledge of federal tax, labor, or securities law is required for this introductory course.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-717-WSpring 2017
This course will examine how the defense against terrorism impacts the private sector.  The course will explore the organization of the Department of Homeland Security including relevant statutes and related state laws.  It will also expose students to a wide variety of issues including immigration, trade and transportation, privacy and environmental issues.  This course has been approved to be taught in an online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-223-WSpring 2017
This course has prerequisites of Lawyering Skill I and II, Contracts I and II, Criminal Law, Civil Pro. I, and Con. Law I, Property and Torts.  This basic survey course is intended to provide fundamental familiarity  with welfare benefit plans.  The course provides an overview of employee compensation with life insurance and death benefit coverage, cafeteria plans, funded welfare plans, employee fringe benefits, employer-provided education benefits, and dependent care plans.  It also covers employer- provided health insurance and other accident and health plans, with particular focus on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.   Topics such as flexible spending accounts and health savings accounts, which provide tax-shelters for such welfare benefits, will also be discussed.  This course has been approved to be taught either in a live classroom setting or an online format.  This course has been approved to be taught either in a live classroom setting or an online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-270-WSpring 2017
This course has prerequisites of Lawyering Skill I and II, Contract I and II Criminal Law, Civil Pro. I, and Con. Law I, Property and Torts.    E-discovery presents unique issues requiring specific rules. The Judicial Conference of the United States has recommended, and the Supreme Court has approved, a number of amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure regarding e-discovery, which are likely to go into effect at the end of 2009. Some states have adopted, or are contemplating, rules dealing with e-discovery. This course will address the (proposed) federal rules and some state rules. It will address, among other procedures, demands or orders for preservation of electronically stored data, problems regarding production including relevance and costs, and sanctions.   This will be a paper course.  This course has been approved to be taught either in a live classroom setting or an online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-626CC-WSummer 2017
Climate change is happening quickly and can be understood only by drawing upon a variety of legal perspectives - energy law, land use, international, regulatory law and real estate law. This course will first examine the underlying science before considering: the impact and disruptions that climate change is having on various regions and the economy and how a commitment to mitigation and adaptation can reduce and manage the economic and human costs of climate change.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-214-WSummer 2017
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-209-WSummer 2017
This course has prerequisite of Lawyering Skills I and II, Contracts I and II, Torts, Property, Criminal Law, Civil Procedure I, and Constitutional Law I.  An examination of concerns particular to consumer transactions in formation, substance, and remedies. Topics will include advertising, consumer sales practices and contracts, consumer credit practices, fraud, warranties, and product standards and safety. Regulatory, statutory, and common-law obligations and remedies (both state and federal) will be addressed, with an emphasis on federal consumer protection statutes.  This course has been approved to be taught either in a live classroom setting or an online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-131-WSummer 2017
Students must complete the following core classes before enrolling in elective courses: Lawyering Skills I and II, Contract I and II, Criminal Law, Civil Pro. I and Con Law I, Property and Torts.  A course in the law of wills and intestate succession, and the basic law of trusts; disposition of property during life or at death by means of wills, will substitutes, and transfers in trust; the requisites of valid instruments; the duties of executors, administrators, and trustees; and the rights of beneficiaries.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-848-WSummer 2017
Cyberbullying, sexting, denial of service attacks, identity theft, drone surveillance, economic espionage. the 21st Century has seen an explosion in new crimes using the resources of the internet, smart phones and computers to achieve illegal goals.  This course will offer a practitioner's perspective of these and other cybercrimes, information warfare and economic espionage techniques and how the criminal justice system is presently coping with this still relatively new and constantly changing phenomenon.  We will examine how such crimes are investigated including issues relating to the search and seizure of digital evidence and the impact of the Patriot Act and other federal laws on such issues.    This course has been approved to be taught either in a live classroom setting or an online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-216-WSummer 2017
This course has prerequisite of Lawyering Skills I and II, Contracts I and II, Torts, Property, Criminal Law, Civil Procedure I, and Constitutional Law I.   This course will survey the labor, employment, and tax rules affecting employee pension and profit sharing plans. By providing an overview of the framework of rules governing such plans, students will learn the basic tax, legal, business, and other issues that specifically affect retirement plans and participants' rights under such plans. Larger public policy issues to be discussed include the struggles of Social Security to remain solvent, the problems of aging and health care, retirement security and women, and changing retirement patterns. The course will also discuss other types of employee benefit plans, such as health and welfare plans and executive compensation plans.  This course has been approved to be taught either in a live classroom setting or an online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-115-WSummer 2017
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-717-WSummer 2017
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-177-WSummer 2017
This course is offered every fall and spring semester.   This course has prerequisites of Lawyering Skill I and II, Contract I and II, Criminal Law, Civil Pro.I, and Con. Law I, Property and Torts.   This course is designed to immerse the future practitioner in all aspects of Illinois Civil Procedure, such as the structure of the Illinois court system, personal jurisdiction, venue, statutes of limitation, parties, pleading, motion practice, discovery, relief from judgments, appeals from the standpoint of the trial court, res judicata, and civility in the practice of law. Court decisions, the Illinois Code of Civil Procedure, and Supreme and Circuit Court Rules are emphasized by way of the casebook method.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-243-WSummer 2017
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-178-WSummer 2017
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-495-WSummer 2017
This course examines the legal development of start-up companies with an emphasis on opportunities and problems related to intellectual property. The course emphasizes how intellectual property influences the business law issues that are distinctive to new companies trying to develop new technologies or produce other creative works. This type of company often encounters special problems in creating a new firm, gathering together initial shareholders, raising additional funding, creating and utilizing intellectual property interests, hiring new employees without abusing the trade secrets and other assets of competitors, seeking subsequent large-scale funding from sources like venture capitalists and public stock offerings, dealing with potential or actual bankruptcies, and, if all goes well, completing a successful buyout by another concern often through a merger into a larger company. Each of these types of transactions raises a special group of legal problems that will be addressed in this course.  This course has been approved to be taught in an online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-196-WSummer 2017
This course has a prerequisites of Lawyering  Skills I and II, Contract I and II, Criminal Law,Civil Pro. I and Con. Law I,Property and Torts.  This course examines the origin, creation, and protection of publicity and privacy rights in the context of intellectual property issues. Course readings and class discussion are supplemented with guest speakers who have experience with these issues.  This course has been approved to be taught either in a live classroom setting or an online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-816-WSummer 2017
As technology such as smart phones, 3-D printers and drones continues its rapid development, it raises new challenges for 21st Century legal doctrines.  From the evidentiary value of the results of such technology, to the legal protections that exist to prevent others from accessing personal data, the legal and policy issues that arise as technology intersects with civil liability and criminal investigation is complex and rapidly evolving.  This course is a survey-style course that examines the intersections between law and technologies such as drones, wearable technology (such as "Google glasses"), smart phones, geolocation devices, internet search engines, data analytics and 3-D printing.  It is designed to introduce students to the workings of these emerging technologies and to highlight the intersections between them and criminal investigation and civil liability in a wide array of substantive areas of law.  These areas include torts, search and seizure, surveillance, privacy, intellectual property, free speech, encryption, and data control and access.  There is no need for any prior technology background or knowledge of the subject matters to be covered.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-510-WSummer 2017
This mini-course surveys important topics in the common law and UCC about contracts.  Survey coverage will focus on the difference between common law and UCC contracts; express / implied in law and implied in fact conditions, remedies, assignments and 3rd party beneficiary contracts (how to determine and when will they be effective). Although coverage in this one credit course is somewhat duplicative of coverage in other 2 - 3 credit courses at JMLS, this mini-course is totally different from the 2 - 3 credit courses.  In particular, substantive law coverage in the 2 - 3 credit courses on these topics is broad and deep whereas substantive coverage in this mini-course is only broad.  Said differently, this course is only a survey whereas 2 - 3 credit courses on these same topics can bring about mastery.  In addition, this course puts great emphasis on bar exam topics whereas the 2-3 credit courses on these topics deal with bar topics only as part of larger substantive coverage. This one-credit mini-course may be taught in several different timing formats, one hour per week for 12 weeks (followed by a 3 hour test), for example, or 2 - 3 weekends in a row (followed by a 3 hour test), or a single very intense weekend (followed by a 3 hour test).  Regardless of the timing format for this class, outside of class readings will be assigned for this mini-course, perhaps readings of teacher-created materials.  This course has prerequisites of Lawyering Skills I and II, Contracts I and II, Criminal Law, Torts, Property, Constitutional Law I and Civil Procedure I. Students may take this mini-course only if they are upper division students - 2.5L's or higher or 40 credits. This mini-course is NOT meant to be a substitute for full-fledged courses on these topics.  Rather, this mini-course primarily is meant for students who (a) don't have time to take full 2 - 3 credit courses on these topics or (b) who wish to refresh their memories about topics that they have already studied in 2 - 3 credit courses.  This course may be taught in online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-519-WSummer 2017
This mini-course surveys important ideas about court remedies.  Survey coverage will focus on the different kinds of court remedies, the law / chancery dichotomy, ancillary remedies (including preliminary remedies, enforcement methods, attorney fees, and court sanctions for frivolous filings) and restitution remedies. Although coverage in this one credit course is somewhat duplicative of coverage in other 2 - 3 credit courses at JMLS, this mini-course is totally different from the 2 - 3 credit courses.  In particular, substantive law coverage in the 2 - 3 credit courses on these topics is broad and deep whereas substantive coverage in this mini-course is only broad. Said differently, this course is only a survey whereas 2 - 3 credit courses on these same topics can bring about mastery.  In addition, this course puts great emphasis on bar exam topics whereas the 2-3 credit courses on these topics deal with bar topics only as part of larger substantive coverage.. This one-credit mini-course may be taught in several different timing formats, one hour per week for 12 weeks (followed by a 3 hour test), for example, or 2 - 3 weekends in a row (followed by a 3 hour test), or a single very intense weekend (followed by a 3 hour test).  Regardless of the timing format for this class, outside of class readings will be assigned for this mini-course, perhaps readings of teacher-created materials.  This course has prerequisites of Lawyering Skills I and II, Contracts I and II, Criminal Law, Torts, Property, Constitutional Law I and Civil Procedure I. Students may take this mini-course only if they are upper division students - 2.5L's or higher or 40 credits. This mini-course is NOT meant to be a substitute for full-fledged courses on these topics.  Rather, this mini-course primarily is meant for students who (a) don't have time to take full 2 - 3 credit courses on these topics or (b) who wish to refresh their memories about topics that they have already studied in 2 - 3 credit courses.  This course may be taught in online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-209-WFall 2017
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-243-WFall 2017
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-513-WFall 2017
This one-credit mini-course surveys important rules and ideas about liens against personal property (secured transactions) and liens against real property (mortgages).  Survey coverage will focus on the different kinds of liens, the different kinds of collateral and collateral automatically drawn into existing liens, the two step creation / completion process for consensual liens, default, 3rd party possessors of property, priorities and  remedies. Although coverage in this one credit course is somewhat duplicative of coverage in other 2 - 3 credit courses at JMLS, this mini-course is totally different from the 2 - 3 credit courses.  In particular, substantive law coverage in the 2 - 3 credit courses on these topics is broad and deep whereas substantive coverage in this mini-course is only broad.  Said differently, this course is only a survey whereas 2 - 3 credit courses on these same topics can bring about mastery.  In addition, this course puts great emphasis on bar exam topics whereas the 2-3 credit courses on these topics deal with bar topics only as part of larger substantive coverage.. This one-credit mini-course may be taught in several different timing formats, one hour per week for 12 weeks (followed by a 3 hour test), for example, or 2 - 3 weekends in a row (followed by a 3 hour test), or a single very intense weekend (followed by a 3 hour test).  Regardless of the timing format for this class, outside of class readings will be assigned for this mini-course, perhaps readings of teacher-created materials.  This course has prerequisites of Lawyering Skills I and II, Contracts I and II, Criminal Law, Torts, Property, Constitutional Law I and Civil Procedure I. Students may take this mini-course only if they are upper division students - 2.5L's or higher or 40 credits. This mini-course is NOT meant to be a substitute for full-fledged courses on these topics.  Rather, this mini-course primarily is meant for students who (a) don't have time to take full 2 - 3 credit courses on these topics or (b) who wish to refresh their memories about topics that they have already studied in 2 - 3 credit courses.  This course may be taught in online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-512-WFall 2017
This mini-course surveys important ideas in the law of instruments and accounts.  Survey coverage will focus on presentment and its problems, the various kinds of instruments, bona-fide purchaser status, and a comparison of the transferring process for instruments and accounts. Although coverage in this one credit course is somewhat duplicative of coverage in other 2 - 3 credit courses at JMLS, this mini-course is totally different from the 2 - 3 credit courses.  In particular, substantive law coverage in the 2 - 3 credit courses on these topics is broad and deep whereas substantive coverage in this mini-course is only broad. Said differently, this course is only a survey whereas 2 - 3 credit courses on these same topics can bring about mastery. In addition, this course puts great emphasis on bar exam topics whereas the 2-3 credit courses on these topics deal with bar topics only as part of larger substantive coverage.  This one-credit mini-course may be taught in several different timing formats, one hour per week for 12 weeks (followed by a 3 hour test), for example, or 2 - 3 weekends in a row (followed by a 3 hour test), or a single very intense weekend (followed by a 3 hour test).  Regardless of the timing format for this class, outside of class readings will be assigned for this mini-course, perhaps readings of teacher-created materials.  This course has prerequisites of Lawyering Skills I and II, Contracts I and II, Criminal Law, Torts, Property, Constitutional Law I and Civil Procedure I. Students may take this mini-course only if they are upper division students - 2.5L's or higher or 40 credits. This mini-course is NOT meant to be a substitute for full-fledged courses on these topics.  Rather, this mini-course primarily is meant for students who (a) don't have time to take full 2 - 3 credit courses on these topics or (b) who wish to refresh their memories about topics that they have already studied in 2 - 3 credit courses  In addition, this course puts great emphasis on bar exam topics whereas the 2-3 credit courses on these topics deal with bar topics only as part of larger substantive coverage. Said differently, this course is only a survey whereas 2 - 3 credit courses on these same topics can bring about mastery. This one-credit mini-course may be taught in several different timing formats, one hour per week for 12 weeks (followed by a 3 hour test), for example, or 2 - 3 weekends in a row (followed by a 3 hour test), or a single very intense weekend (followed by a 3 hour test).  Regardless of the timing format for this class, outside of class readings will be assigned for this mini-course, perhaps readings of teacher-created materials.  This course has prerequisites of Lawyering Skills I and II, Contracts I and II, Criminal Law, Torts, Property, Constitutional Law I and Civil Procedure I. Students may take this mini-course only if they are upper division students - 2.5L's or higher or 40 credits. This mini-course is NOT meant to be a substitute for full-fledged courses on these topics.  Rather, this mini-course primarily is meant for students who (a) don't have time to take full 2 - 3 credit courses on these topics or (b) who wish to refresh their memories about topics that they have already studied in 2 - 3 credit courses  This course may be taught in online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional
1 - 30 Next