DescriptionFilter

JD-144-WSpring 2018
This course has prerequisites of Lawyering  Skill I and II, Contract I and II, Criminal Law, Civil Pro.I, and Con. Law I, Property and Torts.  This course will explore how businesses pay compensation to individuals in exchange for services, especially in relation to the following legal issues: (1) how the federal Internal Revenue Code affects the taxation of that compensation to both the individuals and to the business; (2) how publicly traded companies must disclose compensation packages (especially to executives) to their shareholders; (3) how businesses must comply with minimum wage and other labor laws; and (4) how businesses can be liable for discriminatory compensation policies and actions. In addition, as the market for independent legal counsel to compensation committees has exploded in the past few years, we will explore the best legal practices for sound corporate governance resulting from the Sarbanes Oxley Act of 2002. No prior knowledge of federal tax, labor, or securities law is required for this introductory course.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-717-WSpring 2018
This course will examine how the defense against terrorism impacts the private sector.  The course will explore the organization of the Department of Homeland Security including relevant statutes and related state laws.  It will also expose students to a wide variety of issues including immigration, trade and transportation, privacy and environmental issues.  This course has been approved to be taught in an online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-111-WSpring 2018
This course is offered at least every two years.  This course has prerequisites of Lawyering  Skill I and II, Contract I and II, Criminal Law, Civil Pro.I, and Con. Law I, Property and Torts.    This course is cross-listed in the LLM program as RE621 and the JD program as JD111.  An examination of the various aspects of natural resources law and how that body of law affects the development and use of real estate, including the economics of natural resources law, the sources of natural resources law, ownership of natural resources, management of commodity resources (timber, minerals, and water), land use and development, conservation efforts, and the impact of these efforts on development and renewable natural resources.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-525-WSpring 2018
The MEE and IEE test "agency" law and the IEE tests "suretyship" law.  Against all reason, the MBE heavily tests some aspects of the law of contract outsiders, particularly the law of 3rd party beneficiaries. This mini-course covers the basic rules of these three topics and emphasizes the fact that in all three contexts "triangle" relationships frequently exist.  2nd Parties cause injury to 3rd Parties.  But, the 3rd parties frequently seek remedies against 1st Parties (because the 2nd Parties are missing or insolvent). This course may be taken in online fashion.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-519-WSpring 2018
Tested on the MBE (in questions about various bodies of substantive law), MEE, IEE.  This one-credit mini-course overlaps heavily with the regular 3 credit Remedies class at JMLS (JD-120).  So, students who have already taken JD-120 or who plan to take JD-120 probably should NOT take this mini-course.  This mini-course discusses money-debt remedies, injunctions, declarations, restitution, and "ancillary" remedies (such as preliminary remedies and enforcement remedies). It particularly emphasizes the "strategy" of using different kinds of court remedies in different kinds of cases.  The course also moves across numerous substantive bodies of law, contracts, for example, and tort and property. "Equity," a major MEE / IEE topic, is strongly emphasized. This course may be taken in online fashion.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-510-WSpring 2018
Tested on the MBE, MEE, and IEE. This course reviews topics covered in the required Contracts I and II courses and in the elective Sales course. It continually moves back and forth between common law rules (mostly articulated in the Restatement (Second) of Contracts) and rules in Article 2 of the Uniform Commercial Code.  The course particularly emphasizes topics where the rules in the common law of contracts and the uniform commercial code differ, a favorite topic on the bar exam. The course also emphasizes situations where seemingly unrelated topics in the law of contracts actually are closely connected to each other, "defenses to formation" (on the one hand), for example, and "excuses for non-performance" (on the other hand) and "conditions" (on the one hand) and "warranties" (on the other hand).  The mini-course spends considerable time on contract remedies, a heavily bar-tested topic.  This course may be taken in online fashion.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-512-WSpring 2018
Although the MEE no longer tests Article 3 negotiable instruments, the IEE tests "commercial paper" (basically Article 3 negotiable instruments).  Both the MEE and IEE could potentially test "accounts," a major Article 9 topic. This mini-course describes the process of paying for things, with particular emphasis on the use of promissory notes and drafts and checks for payments.  The course spends much time describing how payments frequently transfer from initial payees to secondary financial institutions (usually in exchange for immediate cash to the initial payees).  The course also spends a considerable amount of time comparing the similarities and differences between the way Article 3 "instruments" and Article 9 "accounts" transfer among payees and secondary financial institutions. This course may be taken in online fashion.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-115-WSpring 2018
This course has prerequisite of Lawyering Skills I and II, Contracts I and II, Torts, Property, Criminal Law, Civil Procedure I, and Constitutional Law I.  This course will explore the law's reaction to new and unprecedented developments in medical and biological science, both in terms of how the law seeks to regulate medical practices and also how the "new biology" requires rethinking and development of legal principles. Topics may include such issues as genetic engineering, definitions of death, euthanasia, abortion, medical experimentation and allocation of scarce medical resources, etc.  This course has been approved to be taught either in a live classroom setting or an online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-178-WSpring 2018
This course has prerequisites of Lawyering Skill I and II, Contract I and II, Criminal Law, Civil Pro.I, and Con. Law I, Property and Torts.   The Internet has had a profound impact on the recognition and protection of intellectual property rights in a digital environment. This course is designed to explore the unique interplay between intellectual property rights and the Internet and other digitized formats, in both the United States and internationally. Among the issues to be explored are the impact of digitization on copyright ownership and use, database protection, cybersquatting and other domain registration and use issues, framing, cyberpiracy, Internet business patents, cyber-enforcement, and international regulation of intellectual property rights on the Internet.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-243-WSpring 2018
This course is offered every fall and spring semester.  This course has prerequisite of Lawyering Skills I and II, Contracts I and II, Torts, Property, Criminal Law, Civil Procedure I, and Constitutional Law I.  This course introduces the basic residential real estate transaction including the relationship of brokers to seller and to buyer, broker listing agreement, the real estate sales contract, typical real estate financing devices, land surveys, marketable title, title insurance, the Recording acts, implied warranties in residential sales, seller disclosure requirements, and ethical responsibilities of the attorney in representing the various parties to the transaction.  This course has been approved to be taught either in a live classroom setting or an online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-214-WSpring 2018
This course has a prerequisites of Lawyering  Skills I and II, Contract I and II, Criminal Law,Civil Pro. I and Con. Law I,Property and Torts.      This seminar provides an overview of Internet law.  Students consider such issues as the nature of online services, governance and business structures in the borderless electronic environment of Cyberspace.  Subjects will vary as the field develops, but will include such areas as tort liability, freedom of expression, crime and security, privacy, intellectual property rights and protection, regulation, jurisdiction, and standards of ethics and propriety.    This is a paper course.  This course has been approved to be taught either in a live classroom setting or an online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-247-WSpring 2018
This course is offered every fall and spring semester.  This course has prerequisites of Lawyering Skill I and II, Contracts I and II, Criminal Law, Civil Pro. I, and Con. Law I, Property and Torts.    Study of Article Nine-Secured Transactions of the Uniform Commercial Code; related provisions of the Code and of other statutes, especially the Bankruptcy Reform Act. Practice in planning and drafting.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-603-WSpring 2018
An in-depth analysis of the federal income tax aspects of acquiring, owning, operating and disposing of real estate, including a review of corporate and partnership taxation in connection with the question of form of ownership; the determination of basis, depreciation, recapture, and investment credits; the characterization of gain or loss; the alternative minimum tax; the use of tax-free exchanges; the tax consequences upon foreclosure or loan modification; and the deferral of income through the use of installment sales.  This course has been approved to be taught either in a live classroom setting or an online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-607-WSpring 2018
This course covers the various financing devices used today to acquire, construct and permanently finance commercial real estate.  Students will examine the instruments used to document various kinds of commercial real estate loan transactions, as well as consider the rights, remedies and duties imposed upon the parties and the problems and claims that arise when a loan goes into default.  This class will also consider workouts, modifications and forbearance agreements, as well as enforcement strategies and priority issues under the Bankruptcy Code and Article 9 of the UCC.  This course has been approved to be taught either in a live classroom setting or an online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-216-WSummer 2018
This course has prerequisite of Lawyering Skills I and II, Contracts I and II, Torts, Property, Criminal Law, Civil Procedure I, and Constitutional Law I.   This course will survey the labor, employment, and tax rules affecting employee pension and profit sharing plans. By providing an overview of the framework of rules governing such plans, students will learn the basic tax, legal, business, and other issues that specifically affect retirement plans and participants' rights under such plans. Larger public policy issues to be discussed include the struggles of Social Security to remain solvent, the problems of aging and health care, retirement security and women, and changing retirement patterns. The course will also discuss other types of employee benefit plans, such as health and welfare plans and executive compensation plans.  This course has been approved to be taught either in a live classroom setting or an online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-131-WSummer 2018
Students must complete the following core classes before enrolling in elective courses: Lawyering Skills I and II, Contract I and II, Criminal Law, Civil Pro. I and Con Law I, Property and Torts.  A course in the law of wills and intestate succession, and the basic law of trusts; disposition of property during life or at death by means of wills, will substitutes, and transfers in trust; the requisites of valid instruments; the duties of executors, administrators, and trustees; and the rights of beneficiaries.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-177-WSummer 2018
This course is offered every fall and spring semester.   This course has prerequisites of Lawyering Skill I and II, Contract I and II, Criminal Law, Civil Pro.I, and Con. Law I, Property and Torts.   This course is designed to immerse the future practitioner in all aspects of Illinois Civil Procedure, such as the structure of the Illinois court system, personal jurisdiction, venue, statutes of limitation, parties, pleading, motion practice, discovery, relief from judgments, appeals from the standpoint of the trial court, res judicata, and civility in the practice of law. Court decisions, the Illinois Code of Civil Procedure, and Supreme and Circuit Court Rules are emphasized by way of the casebook method.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-243-WSummer 2018
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-717-WSummer 2018
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-178-WSummer 2018
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-495-WSummer 2018
This course examines the legal development of start-up companies with an emphasis on opportunities and problems related to intellectual property. The course emphasizes how intellectual property influences the business law issues that are distinctive to new companies trying to develop new technologies or produce other creative works. This type of company often encounters special problems in creating a new firm, gathering together initial shareholders, raising additional funding, creating and utilizing intellectual property interests, hiring new employees without abusing the trade secrets and other assets of competitors, seeking subsequent large-scale funding from sources like venture capitalists and public stock offerings, dealing with potential or actual bankruptcies, and, if all goes well, completing a successful buyout by another concern often through a merger into a larger company. Each of these types of transactions raises a special group of legal problems that will be addressed in this course.  This course has been approved to be taught in an online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-848-WSummer 2018
Cyberbullying, sexting, denial of service attacks, identity theft, drone surveillance, economic espionage. the 21st Century has seen an explosion in new crimes using the resources of the internet, smart phones and computers to achieve illegal goals.  This course will offer a practitioner's perspective of these and other cybercrimes, information warfare and economic espionage techniques and how the criminal justice system is presently coping with this still relatively new and constantly changing phenomenon.  We will examine how such crimes are investigated including issues relating to the search and seizure of digital evidence and the impact of the Patriot Act and other federal laws on such issues.    This course has been approved to be taught either in a live classroom setting or an online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-214-WSummer 2018
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-816-WSummer 2018
As technology such as smart phones, 3-D printers and drones continues its rapid development, it raises new challenges for 21st Century legal doctrines.  From the evidentiary value of the results of such technology, to the legal protections that exist to prevent others from accessing personal data, the legal and policy issues that arise as technology intersects with civil liability and criminal investigation is complex and rapidly evolving.  This course is a survey-style course that examines the intersections between law and technologies such as drones, wearable technology (such as "Google glasses"), smart phones, geolocation devices, internet search engines, data analytics and 3-D printing.  It is designed to introduce students to the workings of these emerging technologies and to highlight the intersections between them and criminal investigation and civil liability in a wide array of substantive areas of law.  These areas include torts, search and seizure, surveillance, privacy, intellectual property, free speech, encryption, and data control and access.  There is no need for any prior technology background or knowledge of the subject matters to be covered.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-605-WSummer 2018
An in-depth study of the legal and business issues involved in the leasing, ownership and management of various types of commercial real estate properties. Particular emphasis will be placed upon negotiation and drafting of commercial lease. Skills exercises in negotiations, drafting and review of documents reflect the transactional perspective of the course.  This course has been approved to be taught either in a live classroom setting or an online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-525-WFall 2018
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-510-WFall 2018
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-512-WFall 2018
This mini-course describes the process of paying for things, with particular emphasis on the use of promissory notes and drafts and checks for payments. The course spends much time describing how payments and payment rights frequently transfer from initial payees to secondary financial institutions (usually in exchange for immediate cash to the initial payees). The course may also offer units on credit card payments, electronic payments generally and the different kinds of letters of credit.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-243-WFall 2018
Juris DoctorFirst Professional

JD-247-WFall 2018
This course is offered every fall and spring semester.  This course has prerequisites of Lawyering Skill I and II, Contracts I and II, Criminal Law, Civil Pro. I, and Con. Law I, Property and Torts.    Study of Article Nine-Secured Transactions of the Uniform Commercial Code; related provisions of the Code and of other statutes, especially the Bankruptcy Reform Act. Practice in planning and drafting. This course may be taught in online format.
Juris DoctorFirst Professional
1 - 30 Next