Human Trafficking Contemporary Issues (JD-191HT)
Students must complete the following core classes before enrolling in elective courses: Lawyering Skills I and II, Contract I and II, Criminal Law, Civil Pro. I and Con Law I, Property and Torts. This seminar will examine U.S. and global responses to the crime of human trafficking, a form of modern-day slavery, and the degree to which biases and perceptions about class, race, and gender influence anti-trafficking measures and public perceptions relative to human trafficking. Students will discuss the modus operandi of human traffickers and debate the conceptual dimensions of anti-trafficking measures and barriers confronted by gender and racial minority victims of human trafficking. In so doing, students will not only examine the role of legal and commercial media discourse in framing the human trafficking phenomenon relative to class, gender and racial identities, but explore ways in which anti-trafficking measures fail to meet the needs of many victims, regardless of class, race, and gender. Key issues to be examined will include an inquiry into highly contested questions, such as the distinction between human trafficking, prostitution and migrant smuggling; whether human beings can or ought to be permitted to consent to be modern day slaves, the number of human trafficking victims; which demographic groups are most susceptible or vulnerable to human trafficking; and, the degree to which pornography, pederasty, restrictive immigration policies, cinema, and poverty, facilitate human trafficking. The course will be limited to 14 self-motivated, scholarly students with high aptitudes for creative thinking and original analysis. Students will examine various academic articles and news reports, as well as view video footage of victim and law enforcement interviews, undercover investigations, documentaries, and cinema. Each student will have the opportunity to help facilitate one of the class sessions. Students enrolled in the seminar will be required to complete a 20-25-page original research paper.

Course Name: JD-191HT
Departments: Juris Doctor
Course Types: Seminar
Course Locations:
Prerequisites: Students must complete the following core classes before enrolling in elective courses: Lawyering Skills I and II, Contract I and II, Criminal Law, Civil Pro I and Con Law I, Property and Torts.
Course Offerings: