Clinic: Patent (JD-239)
This course has prerequisites of Lawyering Skill I and II, Contracts I and II, Criminal Law, Civil Pro. I, and Con. Law I, Property and Torts. Under the supervision of a patent practitioner registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, students will write patent applications for needy inventors. Students will interview an inventor, prepare drawings and a description for a patentability search, evaluate the patentability search results, prepare drawing layouts for a patent application for the inventor, and write all parts of the specifications including claims for the invention. Applications will be filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. If an office action arrives at an appropriate time, the students will then prepare a response to the office action. Each student will participate in evaluating and perfecting the work of the other students and will submit, for the final grade, their version of the patent application for the inventor. Students can register for this clinic on their own. Please register on Student Planning.

Course Name: JD-239
Departments: Juris Doctor
Course Types: Faculty Supervised
Course Locations:
Prerequisites: Students must take one of the following classes prior to taking the Patent Clinic (JD-239). Patent Office Practice (JD-197), Patent and Trade Secret Law (JD-117), Patent Law Planning and Practice (JD-290) or Patent Law: Statutory and Regulatory Fundamentals (JD-199).
Course Offerings: