Law Practice and Management (JD-264)
This course is offered every fall and spring semester. This course has prerequisites of Lawyering Skill I and II, Contract I and II Criminal Law, Civil Pro. I, and Con. Law I, Property and Torts. This course will help you develop a business and marketing plan as well as a better understanding of the advantages and difficulties in developing a solo or small practice. Areas of study include the public's perception of the legal profession, legal profession trends, small law office survival, products and services, office accounting, case planning, fee contracts, fee arrangements, common ethical complaints and methods to avoid them, civility in the profession, marketing and promotion of legal services, firm performance evaluation, financial analysis of the firm, strategic planning, modern law office technology, use of law clerks and paralegals, pro bono obligations, and human resource management. You will leave this course with a business and marketing plan as well as a creative paper articulating your aspirations as an attorney starting your own firm. This is an interactive course, with guest speakers who are practicing attorneys willing to share advice and suggestions for those planning to start out either right away or after a few years working for someone else.

Course Name: JD-264
Departments: Juris Doctor
Course Types: Simulation
Course Locations:
Course Offerings: